Wednesday, August 02, 2006

.

Easy Does It

This edition of "lists of short bits" comes with an explanation. I've had a few people ask about the last items of the lists, which seem like strange, meaningless things. Well, for each of these "short bits" posts, the title of the entry is the name of a C4-level square dance call whose name evokes brevity or simplicity in some way. And the last item in the list is the definition of the call. So there it is: oddly mysterious and entirely incomprehensible. Some might say that describes me....

  • It seems that a pedestrian in Poland escaped serious injury despite his being struck by a falling St Bernard dog. The 110-pound dog, which was also not seriously hurt, had been defenestrated by a drunk couple on the second floor. The couple was arrested.
  • Speaking of drunks behaving badly, how about that Mel, hm? 'nuff said there, I think.
  • Stupid Sexist Tricks, part 1: On my way to work in the mornings I often see a bus with an ad on the back for "The Radiochick". Her slogan: "Built like a woman. Thinks like a man." Ick.
  • Stupid Sexist Tricks, part 2: A pair of ads I saw on the NYC subway recently went like this:
    If you want one of those pole things for the living room, you're a Mitchum Man.
    If you plan to run it by the better half first, you're a Sensitive Mitchum Man.
    I think it's meant to be funny. Ick.
  • Speaking of advertisements, last night I saw an ad on TV for a prescription sleeping pill. One of its side effects may be, according to the advert, drowsiness.
  • Our 100F heat wave, which started yesterday, will last until 5 p.m. tomorrow, according to the news reports. I suppose I should keep an eye on the thermometer to watch for the abrupt cool-down at the stroke of 5 o'clock. Ya gotta love excessive precision.
  • It was already 81F outside my house when I left for work at 7 a.m. today.
  • Concentric zing.

No comments: