By now, everyone knows about the “terrorist devices” that closed down part of Boston the other day:
They placed 38 of the devices on buildings, under bridges and in other spots around the city, and each earned $300. The devices featured flashing lights in the shape of a character from the cartoon show “Aqua Teen Hunger Force.” They were arrested Wednesday night and charged with placing a hoax device in a way that causes panic, and disorderly conduct.
Of course, the guys who placed those things did nothing that I can remotely construe to be criminal, regardless of whether one thinks it was funny or ill-advised. It strikes me that Boston is just trying to save face, in the light of their ridiculous overreaction. The things had been around for a while, and none of the other cities called out the National Guard:
Ms. Powell said the company had intended the devices, which resemble Lite-Brite boards, as unconventional advertising in 10 cities, including New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, to promote the late-night cartoon and a coming film. The light boards had been in place for two to three weeks, and there had been no complaints from other cities, she said.
But the only thing I really want to note is the part that is to me the most amusing:
Other cities made sure that the devices were being taken down Thursday. In New York, the police contacted Interference Inc., which told them that at least 20 devices had been placed in Brooklyn and Manhattan. The police found two devices, at West 33rd Street and 12th Avenue, stuck to metal panels under an overpass, and said they believed that the others were removed by passers-by.
Yes, that's right: In New York, most of the devices were stolen. Watch for them on eBay.