Sunday, May 13, 2007

.

Mowing, thinking, and dancing

Grape hyacinthsI don't usually write about the “what I did today” sorts of things, except when I post a photo, or a review of a hike or a performance or some such. But yesterday, I mowed the lawn for the first time this year.

See, that's a major sign of spring for me, the last one, the one that seals it. There're the robins and the cardinals. There're the magnolias and the cherry trees. The lilacs, the azaleas, the dandelions. And then there's the first mowing of the lawn, which is quite late this year. It'd usually have needed to be done some time in April.

Thing is, it can be very meditative, or very contemplative. It's about an hour of walking back and forth behind a humming, buzzing machine, a mindless activity that leaves the mind to wander, to either clear out and just hear the hum and soak in the sights and sounds, or fill up with a bunch of detritus that has to be processed.

Unfortunately, sometimes, like yesterday, one would rather have the former and the latter kicks in.

So it was good to counteract that with a visit to the Greenwich contradance in the evening for three hours of escaping with music and dance.

Ahhhhh. That's a bit better.

And I've posted some photos, so that this keeps with the program. Click to enlarge.

Cherry blossomsContradancing in Greenwich, CT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos.

Spring is my favorite season. For the reasons you mention.

Hope you had fun atthe dance.

JP Burke said...

I love the motion in that shot. It reminds me of watercolor.