When the meal a man was cooking at his aunt’s house in Hartlepool caught fire this week, he grabbed the nearest thing from a pile of laundry to put it out: his aunt’s billowing, powder blue, size XL underpants. He ran them under the faucet and tossed them onto the flames, smothering the fire and saving the kitchen, according to a spokesman for the local fire brigade. The fire official said that using a large, wet cloth to cover a grease fire was a sound principle and that with underwear, “clearly it depends on what size you are.”
Pointers to this fortnight’s blog carnivals:
- Skeptics’ Circle #78.
- Carnival of the Liberals #55.
- Carnival of the Liberals #56.
- Carnival of the Decline of Democracy #3.0.
- Carnival of Feminists #51.
- Carnival of Education #153.
- Carnival of Education #154.
- Carnival of Mathematics #24.
- Carnival of the Godless #83, including “BBC: Friday Night Comedy’s best of 2007”.