Thursday, November 27, 2008

.

Thanksgiving

It’s Thanksgiving today, in the U.S.

I often think about how fortunate I am to have the life I do; those thoughts don’t come only on the fourth Thursday in November. I have good friends and family, a nice place to live, a good job that I like doing, plenty of free-time activities that I enjoy, and good health that allows me to do them. I’m happy, and I’m thankful that I am.

This year, I have something else to be thankful for. This year, we’re seeing the last days of a presidency that has abused its power and damaged our country more than any other has in the 221 years since our Constitution was adopted. This year, we’re looking at the hope of a United States of America that’s once again the “free country” that it used to be. This year, we have elected a leadership team that promises to be more interested in progress than in control.

This year, I can say that I’m thankful that so many Americans saw fit to elect a president and a congress who can lead that change. I’m thankful that enough of us want the damage repaired and want to return to what we set out for ourselves 221 years ago.

And I’m thankful that we’ve come to the point where so many of us are able and willing to vote for the right people, regardless of race. Knowing how impossible that would have been fifty years ago, and seeing how far we’ve come in these last fifty years, I’m very thankful.

Now, please pass the cranberry sauce.

No comments: