Thursday, January 14, 2010

.

Two can mail as cheaply as one

Every year at this time, I get my town’s Winter/Spring recreation schedule, an 8½×11 booklet of some 50 or 60 pages, and the recycling and solid waste brochure, a 5½×8½ booklet of around 10 pages. They arrive in the mail within a week or two of each other.

Last weekend, the post brought, for the first time, a combined recreation schedule and recycling/solid waste brochure, in one mailing. It’s 8½×11, with the recreation schedule on white paper, and with the waste info on green pages inserted between pages 30 and 31 of the other, meant to be “pulled out”.

I suspect that combining the mailings saved the town a great deal in mailing costs, and probably in printing costs as well. I do hope that whoever thought of it got appropriate kudos (a nice pay raise, or at least a good bonus), and I have written the town and said that. It probably took some effort to convince the sanitation department to give up having their own booklet sent out (and I hope it won’t result in some residents’ throwing away the recreation department’s schedule, unaware that the other bit is bundled within).

No comments: