Saturday, August 28, 2010

.

Non-negative political advertising

We’re preparing for local elections, to be held, what, some two months hence? Not too bad, compared with the lead time we sometimes see. One hotly contested race will be the one for New York Attorney General, a position to be vacated by Andrew Cuomo, who will be running for Governor.

We have a primary election coming up in a couple of weeks to select the Democratic candidate for the November election (the Republican candidate is already selected, Daniel Donovan). There are five Democrats on the primary-election ballot: Richard Brodsky, Sean Coffey, Eric Dinallo, Kathleen Rice, and Eric Schneiderman.

I just got a clever campaign ad in the mail from Assemblyman Brodsky. The ad says, They hate Richard Brodsky, and shows pictures (with captions, in case you don’t recognize their faces) of Alphonse D’Amato, Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh. It follows with, You’ll love him. The back of the ad tells you to go to Mr Brodsky’s web site to see other right-wingers who hate him, and liberals who support him.

I like the ad because it’s not blasting his opponents. It’s not direct enough for me, really — it’s not telling me where Mr Brodsky stands on any issues, and it’s not saying what he’ll do as Attorney General — but it’s a step in the right direction. It’s saying, in general, that he’s liberal, and opposes (and is opposed by) the right wing.

That’s a very good start.

The New York Times, on the other hand, criticizes Assemblyman Brodsky’s divisive style, and recommends Senator Schneiderman. I think I agree, but I have to look into it more before 14 Sept.

In any case, I like Mr Brodsky’s ad.

[Here’s more about the NY AG race, from the Times.]

3 comments:

Brent said...

What is this "look into" concept? Do you imply that we are supposed to actually know something about the candidates before we cast our vote? I do not understand - I thought that it is every American's right to blissfully ignorant.

Barry Leiba said...

Truly, I suppose I should get with the program, and just vote for whichever one promises me lower taxes.

Brent said...

That is right...and don't forget to support those politicians who hate the groups that you hate. Of course, if you do not currently hate any groups, I am sure there are some good politicians around that can help you pick a group worthy of hating.