Saturday, May 05, 2007

.

Erratum: Bush vetos

It seems that I was in error the other day, when I linked Bush's veto of the military spending bill to the inclusion therein of a timetable for troop withdrawal. The real reason for the veto appears here:

In a two-page letter sent to the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, and the Senate majority leader, Harry Reid, Mr. Bush said his veto threat would apply to any measures that “allow taxpayer dollars to be used for the destruction of human life.”
That would be a perfectly sane reason for vetoing a military spending bill, and I feel like a dope for having misunderstood, yes I do.

So sorry.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I wish it were funny. :-(

It makes me wonder -- if I had been born into the body of a privileged white male underachiever in a family of overachievers, pushed into job after job that I couldn't perform -- would I be the same? How can any person be so twisted, self-righteous, hypocritical, and lacking in compassion? It must be impossible to live with the idea that he doesn't deserve anything that he has, so he has built up the belief that he does.

I also wonder if this congress can devise any strategy that will pull this country out of its deepening morass, or if it's going to be two years of deadlock, or worse, "compromise" with an uncompromising zealot.