Sunday, May 23, 2010

.

Carnivals!

I’ve mentioned before that when I read something about unionized workers, I momentarily think about workers who are not ionized. It takes my brain a moment to parse it correctly, as “union...ized” rather than “un...ionized”. Every time. That’s one of the hazards of spending most of one’s time thinking a certain way.

So it might not surprise some of you that when I heard on NPR last week something about anticipation of “huge tarballs washing up on the Gulf beaches,” I did not immediately think of the oil spill. I actually laughed, before I cried.

[For the rest of you, the normal ones, who have no idea what I’m talking about: Wikipedia will tell you.]

Pointers to this fortnight’s ever-dwindling list of blog carnivals:

2 comments:

Brent said...

Thank goodness we can zip the tarballs to make them smaller.

Nathaniel Borenstein said...

I had the same reaction when I started hearing the word "tarball" on the news. Zipping them is a fine idea, but my big concern is how quickly tarballs can be reproduced and distributed all over the world.